The Toad had a bad day, and I had a bad day because the Toad had a bad day. All in a day's work. Such is life? I went off to spend some money hoping it would make me feel better. I got myself a new Wilton icing colours kit, some pretty pastel sugar flowers, some lovely croissants and a packet of blackberries. Well, the blackberries weren't really for me, but as a pick-me-up for Toad in form of jam.
Now, I've never had blackberry jam myself until today. It was good! It tastes purple and plummy and curranty if you know what I mean.
Blackberries are expensive. So I tried this recipe out with only a little bit of fruit. Here's what I did.
180g blackberries, at room temperature
40g castor sugar
Juice from half a lemon
- Place the fruit in a large bowl together with sugar.
- Mash fruit and sugar together gently with a fork. Do not break fruit down completely.
- Place fruit and sugar mixture into a heavy-based saucepan.
- Place saucepan on medium heat.
- As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat down low.
- Add lemon juice and mix it through.
- Skim the foam that will form on the surface every few minutes. Keep doing this until no more foam appears.
- The liquid will slowly but surely evaporate. When you see that the mixture is still a little moist, take it off the heat. The jam will thicken as it cools.
- Put a clean glass bottle and cap into the oven at 160 Celsius for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool awhile.
- Pour jam into the bottle and seal immediately.
Now all I have to do is wait for Toad to eat it before I can really tell you how good it is!