What do you do when you have salmon and cauliflower in your fridge that needs using up? Make a quick and easy casserole with minimal effort. The only thing that requires cooking time is the cream and that will take you no more than 5 minutes. Everything else is just slicing and cutting work. Sometimes this is what you need, no-fuss comfort food.
Salmon, Cauliflower & Potato Bake
200ml cooking cream
A knob of butter
A piece of salmon, sliced thinly
A small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 small pink potatoes, sliced thinly
Red cheddar cheese, grated
A handful of breadcrumbs
Parsley, leaves only
About 1 teaspoon salt
About 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Black pepper, a few dashes
Nutmeg, a few dashes
Cumin, a few dashes
Paprika, a few dashes
Worcestershire sauce, a few drops
5 cloves garlic
- Place a saucepan on low fire. Melt the butter. Pour in cream. Add salt, sugar, black pepper, nutmeg, cumin, paprika and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Add garlic. Bring to a simmer. While the cream is simmering, check seasoning and adjust if necessary. Keep checking and tasting until you are happy with it. Remove from the heat, discard garlic and set it aside.
- In a rounded glass casserole place half the potatoes in a layer at the bottom, top with half the salmon and then half the cauliflower. Sprinkle a little chives. Make a second layer in a similar manner using up all the potato, salmon and cauliflower. Pour over the prepared cream. Finish with chives and parsley.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, and then the breadcrumbs. Drizzle on a little olive oil.
- Cover the top of the casserole with foil.
- Bake in the oven at 140 Celsius for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake at 170 Celsius using only the top oven heat or grill until golden. Note: If using the Grill function of your oven, watch the casserole closely as it will get hot and burn quickly.
- When the top is golden, remove from oven and serve immediately sprinkled with more chives.