Pages

Sunday 22 July 2012

Butter Cake, after many tries to get it right


No long stories after the absence from blogging. It's just been busy at work, but I haven't stopped baking! I've baked quite a few things in the past few weeks, but the one I've really been trying to master is a simple butter cake.

I've experimented and experimented with numerous recipes for butter cake and this weekend, I finally found the right balance for a butter cake that I like. It has enough butter, enough sugar and is a lovely yellow colour with a moist crumb. Next up is a marble cake using this recipe as a base. Wish me luck!

BUTTER CAKE

250g Salted Sutter, at room temperature
200g Caster Sugar
3 Whole Eggs + 4 Egg Yolks
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
200g Self-Raising Flour

Butter and flour an 8 inch round tin.

Cream butter and sugar really well with an electric mixer for at least 5 minutes until the mixture is realy pale and looks like thick cream. Add in whole eggs and yolks one by one, beating until just combined with each addition. Add in vanilla. Fold in flour by hand until just absorbed. Once done, give the mixture a quick whizz with the electric beaters (just to ensure that all the flour has been absorbed) for a few seconds.

Scrape batter into the prepared tin. Bake at 160 Celsius for about 1 hour or until a skewer poked through the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove tin from oven and let the cake cool for about 25 minutes in the tin. Then turn out onto a wire rack and let it finish cooling before cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me some love!